Brian and I have always been naturally good savers but when it comes to investing and making that money work for us we have never really taken the leap outside of our own homes and basic retirement accounts. When we went home in August for Justin and Tori's wedding my Dad told me about a few kids our age that were making money selling things on Amazon. The barrier of entry is low and the idea of starting a business that I could do in my free time was enticing. I found a few blogs and podcasts and started learning all I could. My favorite is the
Amazing Seller. He explains how to get started in simple terms and his voice is one I could listen to for hours. When answering emails at work, driving or at the gym I listen to podcasts. I have a mix between business ones like this, financial ones that teach you how to save, budget and invest and others that are just uplifting or are about having the best marriage you can have. And of course I listen to Serial... who doesn't listen to that right?!
So I began with the podcasts and was hooked on the idea. It took a little more for Brian to be sold. We decided having a partner to start out would
make Brian feel most comfortable be best. So we found an acquaintance that has been doing online businesses for several years and that has had great success selling on amazon. We met several times via skype and formed a partnership and signed the contracts. We researched a product, decided which one to go with first and I got started sourcing it out. Chinese New Year slowed things down a little for us but last week we received our first order! and by tomorrow we will be ready to sell. It has been an amazing process so far, I have been able to use so much more of my college education in the last few months than I have in the years since I graduated. Between working full time, having a home to take care of, dogs to tend to, exercise and a baby and husband to love, life is pretty full. But one thing we have learned in our busy years is that there is always time for more, its just a matter of prioritizing. And who knows, if thing takes off maybe I can outsource my housekeeping and get some of my time back :)
A typical day begins with getting ready for work, sometimes Liam sleeps till I am ready but most days he gets up when we do (before the alarm) and we get ready together. Then we play a little before going to work and daycare. After work we go home and play lots and eat dinner. Depending on the day Brian is home when we get there, while other days its just Liam and I. After the house is adequately rearranged Liam gets a bath and gets ready for bed. Once he is asleep I sneak off to the gym and then work on the amazon stuff before going to bed. The great thing about this business is that it doesn't require a huge amount of time. Over winter break there were a few late nights where I was talking back and forth with the factory in China, due to the time difference, but most things I can do on my lunch breaks or after Liam is in bed.
Last week Brian spent some time picking up the shipment of goods from Salt Lake and then I spent part of my lunch the following day dropping off the first 30 boxes of goods that are on their way to Amazon. I have loved working with Brian on this and talking strategy and dreaming of what this business can be. I am a member of a facebook group that is full of people that sell or are interested in selling on amazon and I love seeing what others are doing and watching them be successful. I can't wait to see where this thing goes and to finally be taking steps to be entrepreneurs after years of talking about it, its action time. And no matter what happens it has already been such a huge learning experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment