Thursday, February 17, 2011
I Love Europe!
Ever since i met Brian I knew living and working in Europe was a possibility but as graduation nears I decided to start talking about graduate school and internships with Brian. He has a long time family friend that works at Cern and is the head of their computer engineering program which has always interested bri, so I bravely brought up the possibility of talking with him about an opportunity to work there. I don't know a lot about the company besides what Brian's shared but it sounds like something he'd enjoy. So while Brian's considering the idea I decided to do some research of my own about the company and the area.
My conclusion: I LOVE EUROPE!
Ok so why do I love it even though I've never been there well besides the obvious, they are so the opposite of Americans. They value time and enjoy relaxing. This company offers 6 weeks paid time off plus they close down for 2 weeks on top of that for Christmas. I've never heard of such a thing. Also if they close at noon that means they shut the doors and are out of there at noon none of this help the last people in line at noon nonsense. Plus they take siesta type lunches and close down for a few hours. (I could go for that)
Weird fact I found out is that kindergarten (yes they have the same name as us) is optional and can be for up to 2 years and is non school centered. They use this time to teach kids to behave and sit quietly.
Apartments there that are listed as unfurnished mean no furniture, no appliances, no cupboards, no nothing just an empty space. Who would have thought lol
Another interesting thing i learned is that CERN is where the internet was invented and that it was a type of accident. They were just looking for a way to communicate with other scientists at other locations and thats what came out of it. So cool, never really thought of invented the internet.
Fun fact, so CERN is located in Switzerland in Geneva in like an underground facility apparently, it's a city within a city, so the family friend that works there lives in France and goes back and forth each day. Crazy to live in one country and work in another, never thought people did that before either.
Brian tells me English is the language of the Scientists there, which there webpage is in English so I hope that's true cause for all of those that know me languages are not my area of expertise.
So I've been learning lots and think it sounds like an adventure but I think California will always be where I want to end up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment