2 Jobs
2 babies
2 summers apart
Lots of tears and sacrifice
... But we did it, we made it through Business and Law School with no student loans!
Was it easy,? No! Was it worth it? Absolutely! And achieving this level of education and meeting this level of goal will forever change our family. When Brian talked about going to grad school I told him I wanted to do it debt free. He liked the goal but was realistic about thinking it might not be possible and that we may need to take out some loans. I on the other hand am stubborn (yes I am admitting it) and wasn't going to even let that thought into my mind because I knew this was a huge goal and I didn't want any excuses for me to not achieve it because I knew on hard days they would be easy to give into.
When we made this goal we thought we would maybe have one baby before graduation but never imagined we would have two. Having kids certainly changed things. It meant more expenses, especially that of daycare. It also meant that I would not get to stay home with them like I wanted if we were still going to achieve this goal. When I got pregnant Brian was the first to suggest I stay home like I wanted but as hard as I knew it would be to leave Liam each day for work I knew that doing this would change our family and would set an example for our children that they too can accomplish anything they put their mind to. Everyday when I dropped him off I thought of why I was leaving him. I knew it was harder on me than him. I mean he got to play with friends all day and eat treats, he loved it at daycare. But oh how I missed him. I would tell him often that I was working so hard because of him. Because one day we will talk about these days and he will be proud of me. And he will look for a woman that is strong and will sacrifice anything because that is the example that has been set for him. And he deserves nothing less cause he is worth it. He will hear us talk and will strive to be the best he can be, going to school and giving it his all because that is what his daddy did. His dad will be his hero because for these 4 years he worked and studied hard. He spent his summers away so that he could get a great job offer so that once done with school he could provide for his family. He will know how great his dad is because we have shown him.
These last 4 years were hard and I wouldn't want to do them again but I also wouldn't change a thing because we grew closer together as partners and parents and because I know these hard days have put our family on a path we have dreamed of and are now on. We know we can do hard things because we have done them. We know huge goals are achievable, and that we can do more than we give ourselves credit for.
We are now in the process of selling our home (should close in a couple weeks) and purchasing a home in Texas. We are busy selling furniture and donating things as we go through the house. Movers will be here in a few weeks and I am excited that I am not having to juggle packing a home and a "helpful" toddler. So many choices have led us to where we are now. I am excited to see where this new chapter brings us.

No comments:
Post a Comment