Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Small projects, Big Impact

When we purchased this new house it was what most would consider "move- in ready" or "turn-key". Well for the Morgan's there is always a project that can be found/ created. Because we are home owners, the value of the home is important to us and when deciding on projects to do (because we don't plan to be in this house long term) the return on investment is a factor.

Note: Bathrooms and Kitchens typically yield the highest return on investment. Keeping that in mind: those are rooms that are important to women. So the next important room to me would be the Laundry room. So we started there.

This is the laundry room before. Nice and simple, probably hadn't been worked on since the builders built it a few years ago. But it wouldn't stay this way for long! 


In a few short hours my Dad (aka do-it-yourself dad) and his apprentice (my husband Brian) were able to buy, assemble and install these cabinets for me. What a difference it made. I now had a place for all that junk you keep in the laundry room that you wouldn't necessarily want on display, which would have been the reality with the single shelf that was there before. 

The cabinets were the first part of this project. As we were moving in and getting settled it was important for me to have the basics in place so that I could assign places for things as we brought them in. Part 2 of this project is brining in a little excitement to this space. I would love some color as well as some curtains. Hey, if I am going to be doing chores in this room its got to be inviting right?!



 My Dad is awesome, any request I might have, he finds a way to execute it. Before I even asked to have the "dead space" made useful he had already thought it through. We pushed the cabinets to the right so that I would have space on the left for the ironing board, broom and mop! Genius! ( The cabinet has shelves in it so I needed a place for these items)


The dream team also installed this shelf for me with a drying rack. I have a drying rack already but can not hang clothes on it with a hanger. (which I have at times wanted to do) so in minutes this was added and doubles as a drying rack as well as a shelf for storing items like my laundry baskets when not in use. Another great use of space. I plan to paint the pole so that it doesn't stand out so much but for part 1- again I was more focused on function. Design will come later :)



 Project 2: Adding hardware to our kitchen and bathroom cabinets. We did this at our last house as well and it was a must for this house as well. Finding the hardware we loved was a little tricky and took more time then the installation. We purchased a measuring tool the last time we did this project so pulled that out once more. Decided where we wanted the hardware placed and made the marks. Brian then followed behind and drilled the holes! And then I followed behind and added the hardware which literally requires tightening a screw and viola you have cabinets that no longer look stock! 



In addition to knobs on the cabinets we added pulls to the draws! So what do you think? Small, quick projects that make a big impact on the space. 



No comments:

Post a Comment